Family Adventure: Winter Explorations at Cardigan and High Cabins
Date and Time
Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:00PM - Friday, February 23, 2018 12:00PM
New Hampshire, White Mountains,
Registration is required for this activity.
(best time to call: 9am-5pm, Monday-Saturday)
AMC's Winter High Cabin Exploration includes an overnight at a cabin perched on the shoulder of Mt Cardigan. This program is designed for the family that is looking to step up their winter adventures. After spending one night at Cardigan Lodge gathering our gear and supplies, we trek to the rustic High Cabin approximately 2 miles from the base and .5 miles from the summit. We will gain a deeper appreciation and understanding of backcountry winter travel as we explore the summit of Cardigan on snowshoes. The cabin is heated by woodstove with a propane stove for fixing meals. Participants need to be able to carry a sleeping bag, extra clothing, water, and snacks. Activities geared toward children aged 10-12. Rates include lodging, meals, and guided activities.
•Camp fire with s'mores
•Winter naturalist activities
•Overnight at High Cabin - rustic cabin on the shoulder of Mt Cardigan. Heated by woodstove.
3:00pm Check in and welcome activity
Overnight gear check
5:30 pm Dinner
6:30 pm Evening Campfire
7:30 am Breakfast
8:30 am Getting Ready for High Cabin Overnight
9:30 am Strap on the snowshoes and head up the hill.
8:30 am Pack up for the return hike
11:00 am Arrive at Cardigan Lodge for a well earned cup of hot cocoa. Return borrowed gear.
11:30 am Closing Activity &Goodbyes
From Boston (and Interstate 93 in New Hampshire):
• Take Interstate 93 North to Route 104 West (Exit 23, New Hampton, N.H.).
• Take Route 104 West about six miles to Route 3A North in Bristol, N.H.
• Follow directions below from Bristol.
From New York City (and Connecticut, western Massachusetts, or Vermont):
• Take Interstate 95 North (Connecticut Turnpike) to Interstate 91 North (by New Haven, Conn.).
• Take Interstate 91 North into Vermont to Interstate 89 South (near White River Junction, Vt.).
• Take Interstate 89 South to Route 4 East (Exit 17, Enfield, N.H.).
• Take Route 4 East for 25 miles to Danbury, N.H.
• In Danbury, take Route 104 East for 5.5 miles.
• Turn left onto Cass Mill Road and go about 3.5 miles.
• Turn right onto Washburn Road.
• Cross a bridge, then take the first left onto Mount Cardigan Road.
• Follow Bristol directions below, starting with number 7.
From Bristol, NH:
• Take Route 3A North toward Plymouth for 2.1 miles.
• Turn left onto West Shore Road at the blinking light (Our Lady of Grace stone church is on the far left corner).
• Proceed 1.9 miles and then go straight onto Cardigan Mountain Road where West Shore Road
• Go 1 mile on Cardigan Mountain Road, then turn left onto North Road.
• Go 1 mile on North Road, then right onto Washburn Road in Alexandria, N.H.
• Go 200 yards and bear right onto Mount Cardigan Road.
• Follow Mount Cardigan Road for 3.6 miles, and stay left at the intersection with Brook Road.
• Take Shem Valley Road 1.5 miles to Cardigan Lodge (stay right at the fork in the road at 100 yards). For safety, please observe the posted speed limit of 30 MPH on these rural residential roads with gravel surfaces.
Approximate driving times to Cardigan
Times may vary greatly depending on driving style, traffic, and road conditions:
• From Bristol, 25 minutes.
• From Boston, 2 to 2.5 hours.
• From New York, 5.5 to 7 hours.
Nearby AMC Destination
AMC Guides are passionate about the outdoors and have the skills necessary to ensure safe adventures. Certified in wilderness medicine, with focused training in outdoor leadership and risk management, guides provide individual attention while reaching group goals. They possess local natural and cultural history knowledge and solid backcountry skills, and they follow well-planned itineraries. As lifelong learners, AMC guides create the connections and moments that become lasting memories.