This adventure is designed for adults in search of a fun winter experience. Our trip begins with an orientation session and overnight at AMC's Highland Center at Crawford Notch before we strap on our snowshoes and trek to AMC's backcountry hut at Lonesome Lake where steaming hot chocolate awaits. Exploring the forest, listening for wintertime birds and investigating animal tracks along the way give us ample opportunity to experience the western Franconia Notch area in winter. One night is spent at the hut preparing a group dinner, checking out the winter sky at night and learning about winter ecology in the White Mountains. The terrain is beginner to moderate and the pace will be comfortable with plenty of time to explore and learn. Led by AMC Guides
Winter Lodge to Hut trips are designed for the experienced 3 season hiker looking to venture into world of winter. Participants must be comfortable carrying a pack over moderate terrain. Our planned mode of travel is on snowshoes (they can be borrowed from AMC if needed), but please keep in mind that conditions can be variable. Participants must be willing/able to carry their extra clothing, sleeping bag and some group food for 1.5 miles to Lonesome Lake Hut. Hut accommodations are rustic with wood stove heat for the common space and cooking facilities. Bunk rooms are not heated.
•Overnight at winter hut
•Winter dark sky observation
*•Lodging package special includes 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 night lodging at Highland Center, 1 night lodging at Lonesome Lake Hut
•Use of snowshoes
• Instruction and guides
•Free use of equipment from the LL Bean Gear Room at Highland Center Lodge.
Past participants say...
•"Especially good for people interested in backpacking but intimidated. [Our guide was] super proactive in preparation, problem solving, and considering implications of multiple options." Participant, February 2016
•"Loved the hiking and the camaraderie from the group. Great way to try out a new adventure because it's all planned for you and you feel safe with the guides." Participant, February 2016
Driving Directions to Highland Center at Crawford Notch and Shapleigh Bunkhouse
Address to enter into GPS: U.S. 302, Bretton Woods, NH 03595 (44.22° N, 71.41° W)
From Greater Boston Area:
1. Take I-93 North to NH Exit 35 toward Rt. 3 North.
2. Take Rt. 3 North for 10 miles.
3. Turn right onto Rt. 302 East and continue 8.3 miles to Highland Center, located on right side of road.
1. Take I-95 North to NH Rt. 16 North (NH exit 4)
2. Follow 16 North to 302/16 Junction in Glen, NH.
3. Turn right onto Rt. 302 West. Follow for 15.8 miles to Highland center, located on left side of road.
From Portland, ME:
1. Take Rt. 302 West approximately 90 miles to Highland Center, located on the left side of the road.
1. Take AutoRt. 10 East to AutoRt. 55 South (north of Magog).
2. Take AutoRt. 55 South to I-91 South (at US/Canada line).
3. Take I-91 South to I-93 South (VT Exit 19).
4. Take I-93 South for 22.2 miles to Rt. 302 East (NH Exit 40).
5. Take Rt. 302 East to Highland Center, located on the right side of the road.
From New York City (and Hartford, CT, or western MA):
1. Take I-95 North to I-91 North (Exit 48).
2. Take I-91 North through MA and VT to Rt. 302 East (VT Exit 17).
3. Take Rt. 302 East to Highland Center, located on the right side of the road.
Approximate driving times and mileage to Crawford Notch:
• From Boston, 160 miles, three hours.
• From Portland, 90 miles, two and a half hours.
• From New York City, 360 miles, seven hours.
• From Montreal, 175 miles, three hours and a half hours.
Nearby AMC Destinations
Highland Center at Crawford Notch
Lonesome Lake Hut
AMC Guides are passionate about the outdoors and have the skills necessary to ensure safe adventures. Certified in wilderness medicine, with focused training in outdoor leadership and risk management, guides provide individual attention while reaching group goals. They possess local natural and cultural history knowledge and solid backcountry skills, and they follow well-planned itineraries. As lifelong learners, AMC guides create the connections and moments that become lasting memories.